Projects, News and Haps

Projects and News
.l.l.l.l.l.
January 26, 2008
My cousin, folk artist, Robert E Smith came for a visit to give a workshop in San Diego on January 26, 2008. Find out more about Robert E Smith.

February 2008

In February 2008 I accompanied Anna Stoa and Marva Whitehead to the Experimental Print Institute in Easton, PA for their Anyone Can Fly Foundation print making residency. While at EPI I created, "Red" as an homage to Robert Blackburn. Take  a look at what Anna and Marva had to say about their printmaking experience. "Printmaking video at EPI"

Red, 2008
4 x 4 inches
silkscreen edition of 22
$100
March 2008
Faith Ringgold and I went to New Orleans to give three Doll workshops to kids and NAEA participants in March. You can download a dollmaking worksheet and see a slideshow of our visit. Slide show of our New Orleans visit.

On-going and in the studio  My sister Sue's portrait has been put on hold to work on Elvis the burro's commission and make boxes for the La Jolla Athenaeum show in September.

Sue: The central portrait is complete. YEA! The painted borders will be attached next. Then to finish the quilt I'll add the batting and backing and it all will get quilted. Boxes, Boxes & Boxes I've been making lots of new boxes. The Day of the Dead boxes are an homage to people that I have a deep admiration for. The new Day of the Dead boxes are dedicated to; Ray Charles, Coretta and Martin Luther King, James Brown, Georgia O'Keefe, and Zora Neal Hurston. I've made some boxes that are simply a celebration of texture and another is celebration of Spring. See them all on-line and at the LaJolla Atenaeum on September 19,2008.

April-June, 2008
I finished the "Elvis" commission, yeah! This mural will be placed on the front of a refrigerator in a new custom home in AZ. End of July Almost completed a family portrait scroll for Sandi but it needs something more, maybe one more painting at the top. July 26, 2008 Dada Birthday Party We had fortunes told, practiced the hula-hoop and played a Dada Portrait Painting Game at my party last night. I'll post photos and movies soon.